Chicago’s been on my list of must-see cities since my family visited (sans moi) a few years ago. Granted, I was living in New Zealand at the time, so passing up on a few North American trips didn’t seem like such a big deal. Nevertheless, I’m looking forward to visiting the Windy City! I’m especially excited to see Chicago’s outdoor public art, something it’s known for around the world. Chicagoans truly take pride in their city, which makes it such an amazing city to visit. My New Yorker cousin (who formerly lived in San Francisco and Toronto) said that she loves Chicago because even the homeless marvel at their city: “Would ya look at that sculpture? It’s beautiful!”
My sisters and I will arrive in Chi-Town tonight, and I’ve already drafted up a list of things for us to do. Of course, there won’t be much time for sightseeing as we’ll be in meetings all day, but a girl can dream:
1. Ukrainian Cathedrals: I can’t wait to check out the majestic domes that peek out over the treetops in the Ukrainian Village of Chicago.
2. Pilsen Murals
3. Spend an hour perusing the Randolph Street Market
4. Grab a coffee at The Wormhole on Milwaukee Avenue
5. Indulge in a slice of Chicago’s deep dish pizza at Lou Malnati’s
6. Sit down for well-crafted cocktail at The Violet Hour.
7. Warm up with a hot chocolate from Hot Chocolate.
8. Check out the Chicago skyline atop the Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower).
9. Enjoy a rooftop drink at our hotel’s bar.
10. While there’s no shortage of good breakfast places in Chicago, I’ve heard that Bongo Room serves the perfect laidback morning feast.
11. Visit Tribune Campus at the Illinois Institute of Technology.
Have you ever been to Chicago? What are some must-sees and dos for a non-tourist traveller?